Because of their links to an SMS fraud campaign, Google is cautioning Android phone users to delete 151 potentially harmful mobile phone apps that have just been removed from the Play Store by the search engine giant.
According to the company, the cybersecurity company Avast discovered the massive premium SMS campaign that operated through apps published on the Google Play Store earlier in October.
An investigation by Avast discovered 151 bogus apps that were masquerading as photo and video editors, spam call blockers, camera filters, QR code scanners, and a variety of other games. The campaign was dubbed the UltimaSMS campaign.
According to Avast, the apps have been downloaded more than ten million times in more than eighty different countries thus far.
UltimaSMS is a phishing scheme.
The apps are designed to record the user’s location, International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number, and phone number to generate a series of prompts requiring the user to provide their phone number and email address after they have been installed.
Following that, the user’s information is utilised to sign them up for premium SMS servers, costing up to $US40 (or $A50) each month.
Avast discovered that several apps might stop working together after a while, making it harder for users to terminate their subscriptions.
Moreover, it was discovered that some customers deleted the apps and uninstalled them but that the SMS costs continued to accrue.
Scam applications for Android devices are listed below.
The cybersecurity firm compiled it from a list of all 151 Android apps associated with the UltimaSMS fraud operation.
Any programmes listed below should be uninstalled immediately, and any odd charges should be checked against your bank account statement.
Next, you should contact your mobile service provider to request that any premium SMS options associated with your account be disabled.
- AIM PRO Helper and Custom Crosshair
- All HD Video SX – Smart Player
- All Language Photo and Voice Translator AI
- All Translator: Photo, Voice & Text
- Amazing Arab Videos
- Amore Live Random Chat
- Ano caller: Spam List & Caller ID
- AppLock X FREE
- AppLocker X Pro 2021
- AR Qibla Easy Finder Pro
- AR Video PRO Downloader
- Arabic Keyboard
- Battery Animation Charge 2021
- Battery Charging Effects: From 0 to 100%
- Call Voice Recording 2.0
- Calls ID Unlocker
- Camera Translator
- Cartoon Photo Editor Pro
- Chat Keyboard Translator PRO
- Chat Translator for WhatsApp
- Chat Translator Pro for WhatsApp
- Clap and Find
- Cold Fan Free 2021
- Colourful Call Screen & Phone Flash
- Couch Watcher – Guide of Streaming
- Crime City: Revenge
- Recover: Photo & Files Recovery
- Downloader ALL Social file
- Dynamic HD & 4K Wallpapers
- Earth Scanner
- Easy Chat Translator for WhatsApp
- Easy Chat Translator: All Language
- Easy Hidden Apps Detector
- Easy iOS Launcher 2021
- Easy Photo Recovery 2021
- Easy Smart Translator Pro
- Easy wifi Access & Fast Vpn
- EasyCode: QR and Barcode Scanner
- Egyptian Gods
- Fast Dates Chat
- Fingerprint Hider 2021
- Fitness Ultimate 2021
- Football Masters 2021
- Free Launcher X Pro
- Free Secret Downloader
- Future AI Scan Free 2021
- Future Scanner FREE 2021
- FX Animate Editor Pro
- Game Center: Complete Edition
- GT Sports Racing Online
- Hacker Simulator App
- HDlife Camera and Video
- Hidden Section: Secret Lock
- ICall U – Online Video Hot chat
- iDownloader: Social Network Media
- impulse – DJ Mix App
- iOS Launcher X 2021
- LED BorderLikes & Followers for Tik-Tok
- Live Cam Pro 2021: Earth cam & Live Street View
- LivePhoto Animator
- Loopy Live: Global Streaming Video Chat
- Luck Casino
- Ludo Masterpiece Online
- Ludo Masters 2021
- Magic Fonts and Keyboard 2021
- Magic Keyboards and Fonts
- Magic Mix Cut – Super Video Editor
- Magic Pop It: AR & 3D Relax
- Make Wallpaper and Widget
- Mawlid An-Nabi
- Mawlid An-Nabi
- Meme Voice Changer PRO
- Mobile Scanner Pro: PDF Scanner App, Scan to PDF
- Muslim Memoji & Stickers for Whatsapp
- Muslim Stickers and Memoji for WhatsApp
- My Mia 4K Wallpapers
- My Photo Battery Charging 2021
- My Rolling Icons
- New Body Shape Editor
- NewVision Camera
- NOWDownloader and Private Apps
- Parallels – Multi-Accounts
- Phone Finder
- Photo & Voice Translator
- Photo Animation PRO
- PhotoLab Pro +
- Photoshop Detector
- Pixel Art
- Pixler: Face Retouch & Effects
- Pro Calls Recorder
- Pro Tuber AdBlocker for Video
- Pro Video Downloader 2021
- Professional Hidden Device Detector
- Projector HD/AR Video Editor
- Projector video HD Editor
- Pulse Rate Checker
- Pure Tube PRO: Block Video Ads
- Qibla Finder: Qibla Compass & Prayer Times 2021
- Rainbowed: Gay Random chat & Live stream
- Rec Old File
- Recovery Old Photo
- Reface Ultra
- RGB Neon HD Keyboard Background
- Roll Your Icons
- Rubic’s Cube: Real-Time Solver
- SecVPN: Fast and Secure VPN
- Smart City Taxi
- Smart Global Translator
- Soltpapers: 4K Custom Wallpapers
- Spam Calls Buster
- StarMaker PRO
- Stay Fit: Home Fitness Plan
- Stickers Maker ART
- Stickers Up!
- Teammate Finder
- ToEdit: Body and Face Retouch
- Truck Driver Simulation
- TrueCaller ID: Caller ID, Spam Block and Chat (Note: This is not the legit Truecaller from True Software Scandinavia AB.)
- Ultima Keyboard 3D Pro
- Ultra Camera HD
- Ultra Live Wallpapers 4Îš and Ringtones
- Video Downloader Master
- Video Saver & Private Browser
- VideoMixer Editor Pro
- VidMixer Pro
- VPN Fastest Edition
- VPN Toaster: Easy Network Access
- Wallpaper Anime for Android
- Wallpaper XYZ ProWally4K
- Waterdrinker Reminder
- Whistle Phone Finder
- WhoCall Caller ID and Spam Blocker
- Whos Called: Multi-SIM Caller ID and SpamBlock
- Wifi Holder
- Wifi Around: All wifi and Hotspots Unlock
- Wifi Opensignal
- Wifi Password Unlock
- Wifi Secret Master
- Wifi Security and VPN
- WI-FI Unlock Password
- WI-FI UnlockerPRO
- WOX – Antivirus & Cleaner, Applock, Booster
- XN Wallpapers: 4K/3D/Parallax, Auto Change
Malware alert for Android and iPhone
The latest Android security warning comes just weeks after mobile spyware dubbed ‘Flubot’ hit millions of Australians with devastating results.
Scams involving mobile phones in Australia
When a missed call or fresh voicemail is received, a text message is sent to Android and iPhone users, notifying them of the situation. This text message contains a link that allows the recipient to access a phoney voicemail.
Users are redirected to a webpage that impersonates an official brand such as Telstra or Optus when they click on this link.
This page offers instructions that direct a user to download and install software on their phone to listen to a phoney voicemail message that has been left for them.
As soon as you agree to install the file, malware will be installed on your device. Suppose the attackers are granted access to your credit card details, personal information, text messages, browser, and other information stored on your device. In that case, they will be able to steal your identity.
More information regarding ‘Flubot’ has been published by NortonLifeLock, including what to look out for and how to defend yourself from malware attacks.